From:
"Stringer, Sharon" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stringer, Sharon
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:23:47 -0400
 MAC members:
It's time for us to put our panels together for AEJMC 2009!  We had a
great summer of panels, but our weakest area last year was in teaching,
so I have included a description of what a teaching panel should
contain.  I look forward to receiving your proposals - the deadline for
you to have the proposals to me is Oct. 18.  My email address is

All panel proposals should be one page in length and should include the
following:

(1)    Panel Title
(2)    Panel Type:  Indicate whether the proposal is for a TEACHING,
PF&R, or
RESEARCH panel.
(3)    Panel Sponsorship:  Indicate whether you are proposing a MAC-only
panel
or a co-sponsored panel.  For co-sponsored panels, list other AEJMC
divisions or
interest groups for which this proposal might prove relevant.  (Please
note:
MAC sole-sponsored panel proposals will be considered.  However, the
majority of
AEJMC panels tend to be co-sponsored across divisions and interest
groups.)
(4)    Description of Panel:  Provide a succinct (1-3 paragraphs)
description in paragraph form
of the key issues or subject matter to be addressed by the panelists.
(5)    Possible Panelists:  Indicate individuals who would be
appropriate
participants for this panel.  For those you list, indicate whether they
have
been contacted and have committed to participate.  If you plan to
recruit a
Boston-area professional for the panel, indicate this as well.  (Please
note:
It is not necessary to have a full slate of four participants at the
proposal
stage.  However, listing some possible participants is desirable.)
(6)    Moderator:  This can be you or someone you nominate to moderate
the
panel.
(7)    Contact Person:  Include your name, mailing address, e-mail
address, and
telephone number as the contact person for this panel proposal.

Thank you,
Jennifer Woodard
MAC programming chair
Dr. Jennifer Bailey Woodard
Middle Tennessee State University
Department of Electronic Media Communication
P.O. Box 58
Murfreesboro, TN  37132

email:  [log in to unmask]
office:  615-898-2766
fax:  615-898-5682

Remember:  The deadline for submission of all panel proposals is
Saturday Oct. 18, 2008.
Submit your panel proposal by e-mail directly to me at
[log in to unmask]  As
you develop the proposal, please consider specific details for each one.
The teaching panels
guidelines are listed below:

TEACHING PANELS

Each TEACHING PANEL should address one of the following general areas
identified
by the AEJMC Standing Committee on Teaching Standards:

Curriculum: the philosophy, design, and examination of issues,
developments and
trends in the journalism curriculum.  Examples include online media, web

innovations, visual literacy, intellectual property, interactive
multimedia
design, civic journalism, race and gender issues, historical context,
convergence, and ethics.

Leadership: the administrative and organizational efforts used to manage
and
improve the evolution of the field of journalism and mass communication.

Examples include unique mentoring projects or activities, an examination
of
teaching accountability, credibility or history, or exploring the future
of
teaching and learning in J-Schools.

Course Content and Methods: examining teaching techniques and
strategies.
Examples include strategies on writing and rewriting, syllabus
exchanges,
distance learning opportunities, developing handbooks and other teaching
aids,
using videos and other technology in classrooms.

Assessment: weighing the effectiveness of journalism education.
Examples
include surveys and reports on teaching effectiveness, seminars or
workshops to
assess the state of the field in general or more specific areas, various

activities evaluating course content, textbooks, journalism programs and

syllabi.

Teaching panels submitted to the MAC division should attempt to link
these
general areas to specific pedagogical challenges and opportunities
related to
teaching diversity/multiculturalism.
------ End of Forwarded Message

Sharon B. Stringer, Ph.D.