From:
"Rios, Diana" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rios, Diana
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:05:57 -0400
Federico, and All,
A couple of comments from me, one is a co-sponship idea, the other is about the high profile panel.

•Ideas--co-sponsorship between MAC and CTM. I just got a call for joint
proposals from CTM (as anyone else would if you check off CTM's box).
What I'm thinking is for a panel that squarely addresses the theoretical
frameworks and the methodologies that have been used for examining the
Latino press and other independent ethnic/racial presses in the United
States. So, we have classic press functions, normative theories, dual cultural functions, pluralistic
functions, social responsibility...and a menu of methodological techniques
that are best suited for "print" or electronic media, or newer innovations for transmitting news.
In this kind of panel I see the inclusion of historical memory(ies); changes in
US race relations (broadly defined) and coverage; innovations in modes of information delivery;
and adaptations, innovations in methodological techniques to keep up with everything.

•Separately, I nominate Federico and Hayg to be possible panelists on the above possible co-sponship venture, or
the high exposure panel.

•Also, I hope we can confirm, solidify the kind of slot that would be allocated for the panel idea related to the
Latino press. My understanding is that the elected committee on Research has The plenary for 2009. And what I recall
at the board meeting is that the board said Yes (that was great, Hayg) to a plenary-kind-of-panel.
So I'm still not solidly clear yet myself on what that looks like. Hayg can help us on that.

Drios

Dr. Diana I. Rios
Associate Professor
Communication Sciences and  Institute for PRLS
Dept. Communication Sciences, U-1085
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-3187