From:
Meta Carstarphen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meta Carstarphen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:59:12 -0500
Dear all:

Viruses have been plaguing our list and I am working to fix the
problem, which is actually one of the main reasons I asked for
everyone's help in doing "cleanup" on the list to eliminate bad or
redundant addresses.  I have narrowed down the potential problems to
two member addresses and in private posts to these two I have
temporarily removed them from the list and asked them to update their
virus software for reinstatement.  This should fix our immediate
problems but in general we should all take precautions.  The list
itself is fine and does *not* carry a virus.  Viruses nest on
individual computers which, once infected, will spread the virus to all
other addresses it knows without prompting.  This is how viruses have
gotten on our lists and I am told that there is no software on our end
that can automatically clean the list once this happens.  Many of us
have virus alerts and such that protect our own computers from
receiving viruses and you may be receiving alerts from your system (as
I have) telling you about the virus, generating much more e-mail than
you wanted to get, I'm sure.

So, at this point, I'd like to ask everyone to take a moment and make
sure that the virus software on their computer (or computers) is
updated to help minimize the threat of viruses.  Thanks for your help.
Continue to send me your list cleanup concerns.

Sincerely,
Meta
Meta G. Carstarphen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Oklahoma
860 Van Vleet Oval--Rm. 101
Norman, OK   73019-2051
PHONE: (405) 325-5227