From:
"E. K. Daufin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
E. K. Daufin
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:57:21 -0500
Forgive me Professor Babbili if I have offended.  I feel thrilled and
privileged to be part of this project.  Thank you for the opportunity to
clarify.

For years now, verbally and in everything I write, and in the AEJMC
MAC/CSW session in which I asked Profs. Rush & Oukrop to make me a part
of their next project -- I keep saying that for inclusion and accuracy
we need to say White women if our sample/theory is really about White
women OR we need to say women and minority men if that is what we really
mean.

Though some suggest that "women and minorities" suggests that women of
color are counted twice, I have yet to find a minority woman who feels
that way.  I vaguely remember when I heard the working title of the
Monograph from Prof. Oukrop that I sighed and said I wish it were,
"White women and minorities," or "women and minority men" but that we
have to pick our battles (I was really happy the monograph was going to
finally go through and with my remarks in tact.).  Perhaps I should have
made a bigger issue of it and should have called you personally but
teaching 4 preparations along with all the extra duty/underpay that
working at an HBCU entails, I didn't perceive it to be
appropriate/permissible for me to approach you directly, nor did I want
to seem ungrateful to the senior authors for including me in this
important project.

I have gotten close to a dozen emails from African American MAC women
who all say they feel as I do on this issue -- invisible and uncounted
when we hear/read "women and minorities."  I wanted to let everyone know
the victory both personally and "for the cause" in the publication of
the Monograph.  However, I wanted to let folks know that I was not
"perpetrating," as we say in the culture, by having anything to do with
that label in the title.

Please forgive me if I made it appear that I argued against the title
with you personally.  In an attempt to clarify this misperception I have
sent this explanation to the MAC list, as I did the announcement.

Again I am so happy to be part of the project, grateful that you saw fit
to publish it and delighted that you have arranged for a panel at the
next conference.  If there is something else I can do to make amends
regarding any misunderstanding, please let me know.

With Warm Regards,
E-K. Daufin