From:
"E. K. Daufin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
E. K. Daufin
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 18:01:05 -0500
I am passing on an exerpt of Poynter's Al Thompson news leads about the
Jena 6 today.  Though I am grateful for the privilege of knowing
about/viewing a music video with extensive classic and new TV news clips
and the wonderful song, it seems to me that Al again shows his nasty
racist undertone in the post I have copied for you below.

Notice how he says that, "spineless callers have been threatening
threatening everybody from the Jena librarian to the local sheriff's
department."  Funny how Al doesn't mention that the story leads with how
the relatives of the 6 African American boys are being threatened since
a white supremacist group released all their contact information to the
public.

Also Al and the story itself classify insulting phone messages (calling
Jena white media and officials "white devils") as threatening.  As an
African American woman who has been viciously racially harassed by the
media (newspaper) and "fine" citizens of Durango, Colorado and Fort
Lewis College -- police did not even categorize insulting anonymous
messages as threatening So Al's more worried about the white.  Even the
other message the article classifies as threatening said, "somebody
ought to put a noose around your neck," would not have been classified
as a direct threat because the harasser didn't say he/she was going to
put a noose around the white person's neck. Perhaps because anything
done to African Americans is not seen as being as serious or damaging as
any assault to those so used to White privilege.

So I would like for Al and the Town Talk writers to consider if those
messages were threatening or merely insulting and to compare them in
number and severity to those received by the Jena 6 African American
family members and allies AT HOME by MULTIPLE METHODS as a result of a
White supremist groups direct action!  Again this is White privilege
rearing it's nasty head in the media and Al Thompson's news notes.

We sometimes have problems with our server rejecting incoming email. If
your reply to this email is returned to you, PLEASE call me at the
number below.   Apologies...We are working on it. Sincerely,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor
Department of Communications
Alabama State University
915 South Jackson St.
Montgomery, AL 36101-0271
334.229.6885
Thank you in advance for your
Scholarly & Creative Activity Referrals -
Lectures, Performances, Workshops, Consultation Related Info:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/