From:
amohamed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:06:31 -0500
Dear Anita,

To me, one of the most disturbing aspects of the
debate over race and (higher) education in America has been
how definition of the issue ("racial preferences" rather than
diversity and integration) in the media and in public
discourse has clearly shaped public policies and laws that
during the 1990s have conspired to undo much of the hard-earned
gains of the three previous decades. I have not yet seen research
on this specific phenomenon -- but it's a clear challenge for
members of our division.
Meanwhile, the assault on diversity continues unabated. In this
week's issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education, a long article details
the failure of president Bush's signature program on diversity
in higher education which he initiated as governor of Texas.
The so-called "percent plan" in which states like Texas,
California, and Florida decided to admit students in the
top 5, 10, or 20 percent of their class into state university
systems, has led to sharp declines in black and Latino enrollments
in all three states. Considering that these are three of the four
largest states in the nation, this is a bigger problem than it seems
at first glance. In spite of these grim stats, anti-diversity gangs
led by Ward Connely are gearing up yet again to legally challenge
the "percent plans" as discriminatory against "better" students!!!!!!
Connelly -- and those like him -- have made it clear that their
aim is to get rid of this whole concept of diversity from higher
education. So far, they are finding little resistance in defining
the issues in terms of what is legally and morally acceptable and what is not
. . .
Although the team that drafted Bush's "percent plan" legislation has now
disowned the program (and are in fact filing briefs in support of
the University of Michigan's affirmative action policy) it's still
a steep uphill battle trying to stem the tide -- given the composition
of the current Supreme Court. But we cannot afford to give in without
some fight. It's now becoming clear that "alternative" policies being
advanced by conservatives are undermining equality and fairness
in education. We should assume that this is the end game for policy makers.
The implications of this for the future is devastating -- unless groups
like us do more.

We would like to use this forum to carry on academic and issue-oriented
discussions for which the annual conferences do not provide adequate
time. I therefore urge MAC members to feel free to engage in the
proposed topic discussions. Right now we have Dr. Anita Fleming-Rife's
topic on the legacy of Brown vs. Board of Education on the floor.
Anyone who wishes to propose a topic for discussion can let me know
and it will be tabled.
Thanks.
Ali.