From:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:28:33 -0600
Colleagues,

Attached please find my summary of how MAC programming will look for the 2006 convention in San Francisco.

Please note that this information was extracted from notes taken while I was participating in the chip auction.  So, please do not hold me to this as there might be some slight variances between what I managed to record and what Jan Slater recorded.  But, if you see something in this report that is obviously incorrect, please contact me ASAP so we can discuss.

P.S. I've also inserted the report below for anyone who might be having problems opening attachments.
Thanks and have a great weekend!

Lillie Mae Fears
MAC Vice Head

Summary of 2006 (San Francisco) MAC Programs
Results for Chip Dec. 4, 2005 Chip Auction*
Savannah, Ga.

1.      MAC will be the sole sponsor of four (4) Refereed Research panel sessions.  We will fill these slots with paper authors from the upcoming research paper competitions.

2.      MAC will co-sponsor a mini-plenary on Hurricane Katrina issues with the following three other co-sponsoring divisions:  Radio-TV/Journalism, Newspaper, and Cultural & Critical Studies.  This mini-plen will be held 3:15-4:45 p.m., on Wed., Aug. 2.  Also, this is a PF&R panel.

3.      MAC will co-sponsor a Teaching panel with the  Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Transgender Interest Group. The proposal submitted by Sharon-Bramlett-Solomon (Arizona State), “Killing the Messenger in Race, Gender and Media Courses: Teaching Challenges and How to Handle Them,” is the proposal that will be used for selection of panelists.

4.      MAC will co-sponsor a PF&R panel with Mass Comm. & Society division. Sharon Bramlett-Solomon's proposal also was the proposal that caught this division's attention.  Although Bramlett-Solomon's proposal was already taken for the other panel we're doing with GLBT, Mass Comm still agreed to co-sponsor a panel with us. Names from one of our other proposals that has similar goals/issues will be used for selection of participants.  Also, MAC members who submitted proposals that did not make the final cut will be given top priority for an opportunity to appear on the program and/or fill panelist speaker slots.

5.      MAC will co-sponsor a PF&R panel with Civic and Citizen Journalism Interest Group's proposal, “Asian American Journalism: Redefining the Role of the Community Advocate.”  The following MAC proposals offer possibilities for participants:
                “The Asian American Journalists Association/AAJA: The next 25 years,”       from Joy Chavez Mapaye (Alaska-Anchorage)
                “Immigrant Waves: Press Coverage of Latinos and Asians,” from       Diana Rios (U Connecticut, Storrs)

6.      MAC will take the lead on a Teaching panel co-sponsored with Internships and Careers Interest Group (ICIG).  The proposal submitted by Felix Gutierrez (USCal.) and Ali Mohammed (Edinboro), “Black Press Journalists and Journalism in California,” will be used for selection of participants.

7.      MAC will co-sponsor a Teaching panel with Commission on the Status of Women. Names from one of our other proposals that has similar goals/issues will be used for selection of participants.  Also, MAC members who submitted proposals that did not make the final cut will be given top priority for an opportunity to appear on the program and/or fill panelist speaker slots.

8.      MAC will co-sponsor a Teaching and Research panel with Visual Communication Division. Names from one of our other proposals that has similar goals/issues will be used for selection of participants.

9.      Finally, MAC will co-sponsor a PF&R panel with Science Communication Interest Group. Names from one of our other proposals that has similar goals/issues will be used for selection of participants.  Also, MAC members who submitted proposals that did not make the final cut will be given top priority for an opportunity to appear on the program and/or fill panelist speaker slots.

--The End--