From:
Pearlie M Strother-Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pearlie M Strother-Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:45:04 -0500
Hello James, Meta and All,
Yes, James thank you for sharing. It was good for me being home again, seeing the First Family in all of their loveliness there on the Edmund Pettus Bridge, where fifty years ago so many that I know and love sacrificed, suffering injuries that some still suffer from today. It was so good to be among the crowd on both days to hear the President speak so eloquently and with the energy that recalled the fire of our leaders of days gone by, fifty years ago. Sunday, the walk across the bridge was electric for me; yet, I found myself mesmerized as I recalled the screams, the horror, of Bloody Sunday. It was surreal. It was so good to get back to Brown Chapel AME again, the place where, as a child, my older siblings and I sat in the presence of Dr. King, Malcolm X. The church echoed the spirit of the movement from all those years past. It was all truly heart stopping for me. Yet, there are so many more bridges to cross. I sit now listening to the news of the "racist chants" leveled against blacks by a white fraternity at Univ. Of Oklahoma. I do not mean to make these the poster child for "racism," because I believe that their actions are indicative of what is going on around the country. I was happy to see the Univ. of Oklahoma president respond as he did. As he said there needs to be zero tolerance. Thank you, -pearlie*

Prof. Pearlie Strother-Adams
Western Illinois University-Macomb