From:
"Rios, Diana" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rios, Diana
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:52:29 -0400
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

Soap Opera and Telenovelas in the Digital Age:
Global Industries, Hybrid Content, and New Audiences

Diana I. Ríos and Mari Castañeda, Editors

Soap operas continue to be persistent theoretical, socio-cultural, and politico-economic global media. Increased technological innovations (YouTube, web fan sites, DVDs), programming hybridizations, population migrations, and historical tastes are some elements that have fueled the persistence and transformation of these serialized melodramas.  This trans-disciplinary, popular mass communication volume will address several overlapping concerns of the melodramatic serial in localized, translocal and global contexts.  Major, interconnected areas to be addressed are: media industries, hybrid content, and new audiences

We welcome abstract proposals that address one of the following areas:

Media industry issues include creative writing, visual production, labor, and international-flow patterns in export and import, historical regulatory policies, and political-economy of the industry in different states.
Hybrid Content issues include analysis of television, photo novels/fotonovelas, radio novels/radionovelas, serials used for entertainment-education, and health promotions.
New Audiences issues include cultural uses and gratifications, cultivation, social learning, subversive practices, unique experiences of ethnic and racial minorities, gendered, GLBTQ, working class, religious audiences.

Contributions will be theoretically and methodologically accessible to an interdisciplinary readership interested in the social impact of popular communication, the functions of entertainment media, political economy and international communication flow.

Send a 300-word ABSTRACT by November 15, 2008 to: [log in to unmask]

Complete manuscripts will be solicited after abstracts are fully reviewed. Later, manuscripts will be organized in the book according to fit and cohesiveness.

For more information contact:

Dr. Diana I. Rios, Dept. Communication Sciences, U-85
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269

Dr. Mari Castañeda, Dept. of Communication
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003

Dr. Diana I. Rios
Associate Professor
Communication Sciences and  Institute for PRLS
Dept. Communication Sciences, U-1085
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-3187