From:
Kyle Huckins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kyle Huckins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2016 02:26:11 +0000
Greetings - I hope this finds your school year off to a solid start! With the complementary missions of the Minorities and Communication Division and Commission on the Status of Minorities, I thought you'd be interested in this update.

CSM had a great summer and convention in Minneapolis, and there are lots of new articles and updated info on our website. Go to www.csmdiversity.org for these new stories:

- CSM Reaches Out to Graduate Students to Join Diversity Fight
- Chairman’s Corner: Convention Report
- CSM Session Focuses on Getting, Keeping Diverse Faculty & Grads
- Fewer Minority Graduates Land Jobs in Small Media Markets
- 2016 Barrow Winner Accepts in Absentia
- My Long Journey to Tybee – Looking Back at a Segregated Beach in the South
- CSM Member News (Updated Through the Convention!)

The convention in early August saw many kudos coming the commission's way as we've been reaching out to HBCUs and HSIs, launching initiatives aimed at providing data and employment help to historically underrepresented groups, and making our presence felt through an excellent session on attracting & retaining diverse faculties and grad-student bodies (thanks again to our Session Planning Committee).

My talks with AEJMC leaders are bearing fruit, as I've gotten a commitment to schedule our session and business meeting earlier in the convention next year to spur added attendance as well as an invitation to put together a survey of magazine leadership to gauge diversity in an industry not even keeping track of racial progress in hiring and retaining employees.

While AEJMC is down in membership this year, CSM has increased its rolls. However, the commission is more active than ever and needs your support in volunteering, informing and formally joining us. Commission dues are $5 for graduate students, $10 for all others.

As always, feel free to email me at [log in to unmask] or call me at 207-403-4026 with comments, questions or concerns.

Follow CSM on Twitter - https://twitter.com/DiversityFight (we're at more than 120 followers in just five months!)

Like the commission on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/aejmc.csm/?ref=hl (up 40 percent in likes!)

Have a fantastic school year!

Sincerely,