From:
Hayg Oshagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hayg Oshagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:39:58 -0400
I too was one of those who supported the President's ability to make
statements on behalf of the organization. This was part of a more
activist and relevant AEJMC, engaged in public life. I still support
this idea, even if the President's choice of a statement is
ridiculous. We will probably go through these frustrations as part of
the cost of having an organization which is responsive to national
events. In the long term, I think that political positions need to
become part of our consideration for who we vote for as President of
AEJMC, and that we need to plan to be more active on the advisory
board.

It is worth mentioning that when I was on the Board and head of CSM, I
specifically asked whether CSM could issue statements of its own. The
answer was that, yes, we could. There is nothing holding us back, once
we vote on it, to make a statement on behalf of CSM and send it to the
media regarding any of the issues which Dwight mentioned. If the
President wants to be more engaged, we can be many times more so.

Hayg

--
Prof. Hayg Oshagan
Director of New Michigan Media