From:
Sandra Combs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Combs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:42:50 -0500
Wonderful!!!
Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2016, at 7:11 PM, Ek Daufin <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

ASU Professor Speaks at International Conference

Release Date: Apr 22, 2016

An ASU professor of communications recently presented her research during the Popular Culture Association’s annual conference.

***
[http://www.alasu.edu/news/news-details/image.aspx?id=12337&width=150&height=224]Rev. Dr. E-K Daufin, an Alabama State University professor of communication, recently presented research on “Fat Black Women, Pop Culture and Impact” at the Popular Culture Association (PCA) annual conference. The conference, which drew participants from around the world, was held on March 22-26 in Seattle, Wash.

Daufin joined scholars from Canada, Norway and the U.S. in a discussion about the international stigma against higher weight women and explored the experience of higher weight gay men. She currently is writing a book about the representation of black women in the media according to a model of unearned privilege and social effect.

Daufin, who also is a spoken word artist, performed a special poem titled “Only Women Bleed” during the conference. The performance was sponsored by the PCA Poetry Area and the research presentation by the PCA Fat Studies Area. She joined prominent national poets in performing “Embodied Poetry,” which is poetry that addresses the human body and its relation to the human condition.

A native New Yorker, Daufin has been listed by the Alabama Arts Council Traveling Artists, is a founding member of the Central Alabama Storytellers’ Guild, and is the co-founder of the Southeast Poetry & Jazz Connection.  She regularly performs with the ASU Language and Literature Department students in their semi-annual Poetry on the Steps event, held in or in front of the Levi Watkins Learning Center.

“I love performing with the students,” Daufin said, “Not only does it humanize me in their eyes, but we share a spiritual and creative bond that is ‘icing on the cake’ of the classroom connection.”

As a national expert on ending media and cultural weight stigma, Daufin has appeared on CNN and has a strong online presence in the health at every size and fat activism communities.

--
Know Justice; Know Peace,
Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin
Professor of Communications
Alabama State University
National Media Size Equity Expert
Winner -- 2000 MaryAnn Yodelis-Smith
  Research Award AEJMC CSW
AEJMC MAC Membership Chair
915 S. Jackson St., MTG, AL 36101-0271
334-229-6885
Follow me to my home country where the definitions are daufinations at:
http://daufination.blogspot.com<http://daufination.blogspot.com/>
http://pinterest.com/ekdaufin/
and www.home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin<http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin>
Your research and creative activity referrals are welcomed.
With all my heat & heart I want to work with and for kind, competent, strong people who love and help me and I they.  Ashe!