From:
Kathleen Fearn-Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Fearn-Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:35:57 -0700
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:36:47 -0400
From: Ken Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
To: Kathleen Fearn-Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: AEJMC: Obama's Promised "Change" Lacks Transparency

Kathleen,
Greetings from a very hot South Carolina. I hope all is going well with you.
I tried to post the message below but it was rejected, Would you post it to
the listserve for me?
Thanks,
Kenneth Campbell

From:
Kenneth Campbell
University of South Carolina
Former Head of the Commission on the Status of Minorities

Colleagues,
A primary role of the Commission on the Status of Minorities is to monitor
AEJMC. A response should come through CSM, I think.
Also, let's keep in mind that when we are talking about other issues that
could have been responded to, they should be journalism and mass
communications issues (however broadly defined). And yes, there are plenty
of them.
It seems sadly ironic to me that the process seems to have been hijacked
here. Resolutions, I thought, are supposed to be a way that we as the
membership of AEJMC express our voice to the public on issues, and they are
to be voted on at business meetings to give the membership an opportunity to
have input. This is clearly a case where the broader membership should have
had an opportunity to express its views before a statement representing us
was made.
Instead, now we are talking about a resolution to address an internal issue.
Under the leadership of the Commission on the Status of Minorities, we
should move forward with a strongly worded resolution to be voted on at the
Denver business meeting. At the very least, members of the Commission on the
Status of Minorities should have an opportunity for input and a draft of the
resolution, if not the final wording, should be published in the CSM
newsletter and if possible the AEJMC newsletter prior to the convention.
Kenneth Campbell
University of South Carolina
Former Head of the Commission on the Status of Minorities

Professor Kathleen Fearn-Banks
Department of Communication
University of Washington
Website: www.kathleenfearn-banks.com

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Anita Fleming-Rife wrote:

> I find this highly offensive.  Perhaps I am confused, but I did not know that AEJMC was political organization.
>
> Anita Fleming-Rife     BE WHO YOU ARE BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DON'T MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DON'T MIND.

         June 7, 2010

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> Contacts:
> Carol Pardun, AEJMC President (803) 777-3244, [log in to unmask]
> Paul Lester, AEJMC President's Advisory Council (657) 278-4604, [log in to unmask]
>
> AEJMC: Obama's Promised "Change" Lacks Transparency
>
> In late May,
President Barack Obama took the podium in front of the White House press corps
in his first full, open-ended news conference in 10 months, a gap that exceeds
the record set by his predecessor.

> Obama's lack of presidential press conferences and his general lack of
transparency and accessibility to journalists during his administration are in
sharp contrast to the platform on which he ran for president in 2008. During
that campaign, Obama pledged a new era of openness.

> Even the most logical of venues for answering questions from the press seem to
be off-limits. In mid-May after he signed the Daniel Pearl Freedom of Press
Act-a new law requiring the State Department to identify governments that
restrict press freedoms-he refused to answer questions from reporters. "I'm not
doing a press conference today," he announced, according to a Reuters news
story. And when he does allow reporters' questions, attempts are made to
control the proceeding. Last year the Wall Street Journal criticized the
administration's pre-screening of reporters who would be allowed to ask
questions of the president.

> The AEJMC is alarmed by restrictions to presidential coverage that at best
curtail and at worst prevent U.S. citizens from understanding the critical
issues in which this administration is involved. We urge President Obama and
members of his administration to fulfill the commitment "to creating an
unprecedented level of openness in Government" described in his memo
posted on http://www.whitehouse.gov/ the_press_office/ transparencyandopengovernment/ .
Supporting a free, open and informed press with regular access to the president
is the best way to support transparent governance in the best interest of a
free and informed citizenry.
> This statement was issued by the President of AEJMC and through the President's Advisory Council.LINK: http://aejmc.org/topics/2010/06/aejmc-obamas-promised-change-lacks-transparency/

About AEJMC

> The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication is a nonprofit, educational association of journalism and mass communication educators, students and media professionals. The Association's mission is to advance education, foster scholarly research, cultivate better professional practice and promote the free flow of communication.

Forward email

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask]

Email Marketing by

AEJMC | 234 Outlet Pointe Boulevard | Suite A | Columbia | SC | 29210