From:
George Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:22:28 -0500
John,

We compile data on the racial make-up of  JMC  faculty periodically as part
of the Annual Survey of Journalism and Mass Communication Enrollments in the
Cox Center at the University of Georgia.   The 2001 survey (which was
conducted last school year) included questions on racial and educational
background of faculty.   The problem is-- a great number of deans and
directors chose to leave this question blank.

In helping to prepare our article for JMC Educator (Journalism & Mass
Communication Educator, Vol.57, No. 3, Autumn 2002, pp.184-212) last summer,
I worked with Lee Becker in trying to make sense of incomplete data on the
racial make-up of faculty.      You might e-mail Lee Becker
[log in to unmask] directly to get additional breakdowns beyond what we
provided in the Educator piece.

Also-- you might also check out our 2001 report on JMC faculty
diversification, which is available in full-text on the Cox Center web site.
Here's the link.
www.grady.uga.edu/annualsurveys/facultydiversity/knightsummary.htm

This report is based on faculty data through 1998.   That analysis is more
detailed, but obviously the 2001 data will be more current.

George L. Daniels, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Journalism
The University of Alabama