From:
amohamed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:03:16 -0500
Dear MAC members,

One of the controversies within the Association this
year has been over the use of listservs by some divisions.
We in MAC have thus far used the list to exchange information
and little else.
Some divisions like Communication Theory & Methodology have
initiated organized cyber discussions in which members table
a research-related topic and discuss it for a set period of
time -- say 2-3 weeks.
I found the discussions highly valuable -- especially as a source
of insightful tips for doing research and handling research-
related problems.
In MAC, I can envision us taking this a step further by initiating
discussions not only about our research, but also about contemporary
issues in education, law, and public policy. As the challenge to the
affirmative action policies of the University of Michigan illustrates,
a lot of hurdles lie ahead for us as educators and social thinkers.
Our discussion of contemporary issues should not be engaged in just
for the sake of it. We should seek to influence the organization and move
it into a more pro-active role in which there's greater collaboration
with other organizations working for a more equitable and just society.
Accordingly, the first discussion topic will be tabled by Dr. Anita
Fleming-Rife
of Penn State. Her topic revolves around the legacy of the
Brown v. Board of Education decision of 1954.
We will stay with this subject until around March 20 after which
another topic will be tabled for discussion.
Anyone who would like to initiate a topic for discussion can
let me know at [log in to unmask]
Thanks.
Ali.