From:
Meta Carstarphen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Meta Carstarphen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:17:51 -0500
Dear all:
Please consider the following project, and/or making recommendations if
you know of people who should be involved.  Thanks, much...I'm sending
information as a cut-and-paste and in an attachment.
-Meta

> Call for Papers
> Academic contributions are sought for a book project that seeks to
> present the academic world and the public at large with a variety of
> issues that fit into two main themes:
>
>  (a) the Native-American broadcast and print media: their growth,
> professionalism and the training/education of their staffs, economic
> wherewithal, audiences, relationship with the mainstream media,
> problems and promises, and other issues related to this theme;
>
> (b) Native-Americans in the mainstream American media:  cultural,
> economic, ethnic-relations, political and sociological issues, as well
> as issues related to Native-American journalists working in mainstream
> media.
>
> The collection’s editors are Meta Carstarphen and Peter Gross, both
> professors in the University of Oklahoma’s Gaylord College of
> Journalism and Mass Communication.  The book will be published by the
> University of Oklahoma Press and launched in February 2006.
>
> The book project will include contributions from Native-American
> reporters and editors, AND from academics interested in
> Native-American issues, specifically those that fit into one of the
> two main themes.
>
> Academics are requested to write a scholarly paper, 30-35 pages long,
> including footnotes, on any issue that fits under one of the two main
> themes of the collection. Abstracts 230-300 words long are to be sent
> to the editors by November 1, 2004. The editors will choose eight
> contributions; final drafts are due May 1, 2005.
>
> Questions and comments should be addressed to, and abstracts sent to:
>
> Professor Meta Carstarphen, Ph.D.             Professor Peter Gross, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor                           Gaylord Family Endowed Chair
>
> Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication
> The University of Oklahoma
> Norman, OK 73019-2051
>
> Tel. 405-325- 5227                            Tel. 405-325-3999
> e-mail:                       e-mail:

Meta G. Carstarphen, Ph.D. Associate Professor Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication University of Oklahoma 860 Van Vleet Oval--Rm. 101 Norman, OK 73019-2051 PHONE: (405) 325-5227 FAX: (405) 325-7565 E-MAIL: [log in to unmask]