From:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:54:27 -0500
Fellow Mac Members:

We touched on some of the experiences that Berea, Pearlie, and Maria (school research) mentioned in the last AEJMC MAC  Panel "Killing the Messenger:  Challenges in Teaching Race, Gender
and Sexual Orientation Courses."   Dwight Brooks at Georgia and I were  MAC members on the panel.

 But of course a Blue Ribbon Teaching panel could  explore our broad range of experiences and I certainly would encourage it,  because most faculty of color teaching at largely White colleges and universities have many relevant and compelling race and gender anecdotes.

I've gotten emails for the past week across campus due to a campus  story on a new ASUclub seeking approval called  Caucasian American Men of ASU.   Undertones of this group formation,  their philosophical statements, purpose and goals are riveting.  Here's the link if you like to see online news on the Caucasian click (http://www.asuwebdevil.com/issues/2006/10/03/news/698028).

Meanwhile, I support the teaching panel on these experiences, what they portend and suggest for instructing studens about race and gender,  for the D.C. conference.

Keep the Faith,

Sharon

--
Sharon Bramlett-Solomon, Ph.D.
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism & Mass Communication

I will lift up my eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help....