From:
Pearlie M Strother-Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pearlie M Strother-Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2015 10:37:34 -0600
Yes,
Congratulations on having such foresight. Our students need to be there, to be involved. It makes a difference. I now understand why I think as I do. It is because all those years ago, I sat in the presence of Malcolm X, Dr. King, CT Vivian, Annie Lee Cooper. I was a child when I learned first hand of the deaths of, first, Jimmie Lee Jackson, which led to the Bloody Sunday march, then, Rev. James Reeb, then Viola Liuzzo. I was watching live when CT Vivian was struck by Sheriff Jim Clark, and I later interviewed him, his wife along with Annie Lee Cooper, played by Oprah in the film. This is history that our children need. It, unfortunately, is threatening to repeat itself as we struggle to maintain the right to vote. I recall that my father did not get registered in Selma until he was age fifty four, his mother, my grand mother was almost 100. I hope to see you in Selma, my home. I hope to march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge with you. Blessings to all. -pearlie* click the link below. Thank you.

part one of a two part series, to be completed on Friday
http://www.rrstar.com/article/20150228/OPINION/150229270