From:
"Rios, Diana" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rios, Diana
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:18:43 -0400
FYI, regarding CCSU newspaper--This letter is in circulation right now in CT. It has been initiated by
Connecticut social workers.
Diana Rios

October 1, 2007

Hon. Jodi M. Rell,
Governor State of Connecticut

Dear Governor

We, the undersigned, look to you as our Governor to enforce an issue of basic human rights that is occurring at this moment in our state and that could have devastating consequences if corrective action is not immediately taken.

We want to address the issue of violence against women and children, particularly against Latinos/as.  We are concerned about the anti-immigrant sentiment toward Latino women and children and how it is promoted.  Further, we want to encourage thoughts of safety and security for our Connecticut students in a rising climate of violence, sexism, discrimination and racism.  This violence has escalated to the point that it has reached our educational institutions in Connecticut, creating an environment of fear and oppression.

After a previous incident of violence against women at Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) in the student newspaper, The Recorder, which evidently was not sufficiently addressed, another grave incident has occurred recently, which is more specifically directed against immigrant Latina women and children.  The President of CCSU’s response to last semester’s satirizing of women and rape depicts efforts to raise awareness of hurtful behaviors on the part of the student newspaper staff.  However, the recent cartoon, which was published two weeks ago—illustrates a continued lack of appreciation and sensitivity for human dignity, and multicultural diversity.

•       This cartoon depicts disembodied geometric forms, representing human voices having a conversation about urinating on a 14-year-old Latina girl who they have tied up in a closet, and who is being starved and cries for food in the Spanish language.  Putting this atrocious and inhumane interaction into a humorous context diminishes the damage and the seriousness of violence against Latina immigrant women and children.

We are asking for these immediate sanctions to be imposed:

•       Immediate rescinding of the $30,000.00 funding provided by the University for the newspaper until a full public apology is delivered to the CCSU and Greater Latino Communities via a press conference with major media outlets;

•       A meeting between Latino/a community leaders and the editorial staff of the student newspaper to discuss the consequences of this depiction of a hate crime against a 14 year old Latina child;

•       Dismissal of the entire editorial board staff;

•       Revisiting this issue one year from now, at a meeting in which CCSU and the Greater Latino community would come together to discuss the steps taken to prevent further incidents of violence against women, especially minority women and children.

These two incidents which have occurred in the CCSU newspaper reflect signs of an escalation of violence against women and persons of color.  We wonder if these incidents are red flags for impending future violence, of the kind we witnessed at Virginia Tech, and lately in Delaware.

We expect a response from your office shortly, indicating how your office plans to intervene to address our concerns and impose our sanctions

Respectfully Submitted by:

Latino Network of the National Association of Social Workers

Puerto Rican and Latino Studies Project of the UCONN School of Social Work

Faculty and Students from St. Joseph College BSW Program

UCONN SSW Latin American Student Organization

The National Association of Puerto Rican and Hispanic Social Workers

The Long Island Immigrant Association