CASONLINE-L Archives

CASOnline

CASONLINE-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Gibbs, Laura K." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gibbs, Laura K.
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:22:43 -0500
hi everybody, I've made some changes to the Readiness assessment at
June's suggestion, and I've also put up a page at the site with a sample
Quandary file so that anyone who wants to make a specific Readiness
assessment for their own course will find it easy to do so:
http://casweb.ou.edu/olr/instructors/teaching/quandaryassess.htm

IMPORTANT QUESTION: how would people like the "hours budgeted" question
to be weighted on the Readiness assessment?

here is how the question is weighted now: if students say they have 5-6
hours per week for the class that is a "neutral" response, and if they
say they have 7-8 hours that is a positive response (plus 3 points) - if
they say they don't know how much time they have that is a negative
response (minus 1), and if they say they just have 2-4 hours per week to
spend that is also a negative response (minus 5). sorry if that is
confusing; there is a chart below to make that more clear.

I know that this works for my class where ideally I expect the students
to put in 7-8 hours weekly if they want an A, but they can get by with
5-6 hours if they don't mind getting a B or C. (you can see the time
budget for my class in a typical week here:
http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043mythfolklore/reading/bunyanhenry/index.h
tm)

June would like us to have 12 hours be the expected time commitment, so
that the response would be rated: 2-6 (minus 5), 7-9 (no change), 10-12
(plus 3).

I know that 12 hours is way more than I would ever expect from my
studnets, but if most folks really are expecting 12 hours per week from
their students, I will try to find a way to change the Assessment to
reflect that general expectation.

so, in order to figure out how to proceed here, could people please let
me know how many hours YOU expect from your students weekly in your
online course? if I can get a sense of the range of expectations, I will
try to come up with a question that reflects that range (hopefully!)

if there is a huge range of expectations that cannot be lumped together,
I will replace it with another question.

thanks,

Laura

5. How many hours will you have available each week to do the work for
this online course?
2-4 hours/week for this class            minus 5
5-6 hours/week for this class            no change
7-8 hours/week for this class            plus 3
I am not sure how much time I will have                  minus 1