CASONLINE-L Archives

CASOnline

CASONLINE-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Gibbs, Laura K." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gibbs, Laura K.
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:05:10 -0600
hello folks, this is actually not about  online courses per se, but
since it is so hard to know just how the word has or has not gotten out
about public lectures on campus, I wanted to let you all know about a
lecture tonight, Thursday, by Leonard Shlain.

his book, The Alphabet Versus The Goddess, is one of the most
interesting overviews of the whole orality-writing field that I have
read. so if you have any interest at all in this topic (I do! in fact, I
obsess about it...), then I can recommend the lecture highly. and the
book is a wonderful read - so, if you have actually never read anything
on orality v. writing, I think it is probably one of the very best books
you could choose to start with.  I think there is a lot here for us to
ponder as folks teaching online, since written communication (and the
absence of oral speech) is a central challenge in how we do our work.

:)

Laura