From:
"Williams, Lillian" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Williams, Lillian
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:10:52 -0500
This is sad news.  Von was a friend and a mentor while I worked as an adjunct at Kent State University.
Later, while working on my Ph.D, Von offered encouragement.

Please note that Von contributed mightily to the body of research about diversity issues with her 2004 dissertation: An Historical Perspective On The Accrediting Council On Education in Journalism and Mass Communications from 1986-2003: Examination Of The Impact On Curriculum

Her research offered a historical perspective on the impact of the old ACEJMC Standard 12.
The adoption of Standard 12 in 1984 by the Accrediting Council was a turning point in the diversity movement in journalism higher education.

Standard 12 required journalism schools to document the hiring of women and people of color to faculties and to show the contributions of minorities in the curriculum.

Von’s research helps us to understand the actions, and reactions, of our schools to the standard, and the impact of that standard.  She conducted historical analysis on more than 300 ACEJMC documents from 1986 to 2003.

In her memory, let’s keep the results of this study alive as we consider policies related to diversity and other issues.

As others in our organization, I will miss my friend, Von.

Lillian Williams

Lillian Williams, Ph.D.
Columbia College Chicago
Coordinator, Broadcast Journalism Concentration
Journalism Department
312-369-8908