From:
"Wilson Ii, Clint C." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wilson Ii, Clint C.
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:00:40 -0400
Colleagues:

Good idea Federico. Personally, I don't consider Fox "News" to be a legitimate journalism/news organization because of its extreme proclivity toward biased content that seeks to deceive and manipulate rather than inform its audience. In that sense Fox represents a perverted media entity in much the same manner as the National Inquirer wherein some items are legitimate but others are not. Bottom line is the public is not able to distinguish truth from falsehood. Legitimate news outlets, of course, make mistakes in the course of meeting their communications responsibilities and they make public corrections and apologies when they err. Fox rarely, if ever, does this. In the Sherrod matter, instead of a retraction or apology, the follow-up I saw  focused on the mistakes of the White House and Dept. of Agriculture in forcing her resignation without mentioning Fox's culpability. I believe any resolution should note this and cite the examples you mention as ethical disqualification of Fox as legitimate purveyors of news. "Fox News" is really in a different -- and shameful -- category within the media landscape and the public needs to know this.

-- CW

Dr. Clint C. Wilson II
Professor of Journalism and
Graduate Professor of Mass Communications and Media Studies
John H. Johnson School of Communications
Howard University