Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:05:45 EDT

This is  my undergraduate alma mater and classes don't start until Wed, Sept.
7.   Pass on to parents of any displaced students you may know.  UW-Oshkosh
has  a fabulous Radio/TV/Film program.

Trevy A.  McDonald, Ph.D.
Author of Time Will Tell

_Time Will Tell_ (http://www.reyomi.com/)
Motivational Speaker
_Renew Your Mind_ (http://www.renewyourmind.com/)

"To do anything truly worth doing, I must not stand back  shivering
and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in with gusto and
scramble through as well as I can."

Og Mandino

Subject: student victims of Hurricane Katrina

Hello,

The  devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina has displaced thousands of
college  students.  More than 40,000 students are enrolled in colleges and
universities in New Orleans alone and among them are many Wisconsin  residents.  UW
Oshkosh is ready to help those students bridge the gap and  continue their
education until their home campuses are able to serve them. If  you have friends,
family or just know of someone who has been displaced by  Hurricane Katrina
who we can help, please contact me.

UW Oshkosh  will guarantee admission to any student who is currently enrolled
at an affected  institution.  Academic advisors will help them enroll in as
many classes as  possible.  We guarantee on-campus housing and financial aid
counseling.  In addition, up to 12 out-of-state tuition waivers will be  made
available to non-residents.

If you are aware of anyone that we can  assist, I would be happy to contact
him/her or you can refer him/her to the  admissions office at 920-424-3164.
The admissions office is open Friday  from 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and will be open
on Labor Day from 10 a.m.-Noon to  assist any hurricane victims.  Thank you
for your help.

For  more information about admission and other campus relief efforts see the
 attached University press releases.

Jill M.  Endries
Director of Admissions
UW  Oshkosh
920-424-0228
fax 920-424-1207
Jill M.  Endries
Director of Admissions
UW  Oshkosh
920-424-0228
fax 920-424-1207

News Release #9-1
CONTACT:  Chancellor Richard H.  Wells, (920)  424-0200
Admissions  Director Jill Endries, (920) 424-0228
FOR IMMEDIATE  RELEASE/Sept. 1, 2005

Students displaced by hurricane guaranteed admission,  housing

OSHKOSH Students attending universities closed by Hurricane Katrina are
guaranteed  admission and a residence hall room at the University of
Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
Those  interested can come to the UW-Oshkosh admissions office between 7:45
a.m. and  4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2, or from 10 a.m. to noon on Sept. 5 for
information. Those unable to come to the university may call (920)  424-0202.
The  admissions office is in room 135 of Dempsey Hall, 800 Algoma  Blvd.
Seven  universities and colleges in New Orleans alone have been closed by
Katrina’s  winds and flooding. It will probably be months or more before they can
 reopen.
“This  has been a tragic event for so many people,” said Chancellor Richard
H.  Wells. “We want to do everything we can to at least make sure that
students  enrolled in schools there can continue their education until their campuses
are  able to serve  them.”
UW-Oshkosh  has hardship funding to cover the out-of-state portion of the
tuition for up to  12 students displaced by the storm, said Admissions Director
Jill  Endries.
Students  enrolled in universities closed by the hurricane are asked only to
bring their  fall class schedule and any other information about their
academic history to  the admissions office. Advisers will work with those who can’t
get their  materials.
Academic  advisers and others will work with the displaced students to see
they are  enrolled in the classes they need to continue their education, Wells
said.
“The rug  has been pulled out from under them,” he said. “We’re
guaranteeing them  admission and housing, so that this tragedy at least does not delay
their  progress toward their college degree.”

######
UW-Oshkosh News Releases are available  on the Internet at
_http://www.uwosh.edu/news_bureau/releases/webnews.php
_ (http://www.uwosh.edu/news_bureau/releases/webnews.php)
News Release #9-2
CONTACT:  Sarah Aikman, (920)  424-1230, (920) 424-2346
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE/Sept. 1,  2005

UW-Oshkosh students begin hurricane relief effort opening  week

OSHKOSH Returning University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh students and staff will be
able to  help relief efforts in the wake of Hurricane  Katrina.
The  student Reeve Union Board (RUB) will sell Mardi Gras beads for donations
of at  least $2 next week during opening week activities for the new school
year.
“We’ll  be at the 8 p.m. appearance of comedian Michael Dean Ester on
Monday,  Sept. 5, at Reeve Memorial Union,” said Sarah Aikman, associate  director
of the union at 748 Algoma Blvd. “We will have booths or tables set up  at
several events throughout the  week.”
Fall  classes begin Sept. 7, but new students begin arriving Sept. 4.
UW-Oshkosh  students and others who cannot attend opening week activities can donate
to the  relief effort at the front desk on the first floor of Reeve Memorial
Union, 748  Algoma  Blvd.
Aikman  said she has been in e-mail contact with Association of College
Unions  International members launching similar efforts nationwide. Some
universities  are delaying the opening of classes so they can help in the massive relief
 effort.
At  Louisiana State University, 90 miles from New Orleans, fall classes have
been  delayed. The field house has been turned into a relief center, and many
services  are being instituted to aid victims and survivors.
Aikman said  staff at universities, such as Tulane and the University of New
Orleans, will  not be able to return to their campuses for some time. Several
campuses,  including UW-Oshkosh, are accepting applications from students
enrolled at  schools closed by the disaster, she said.

######