From:
amohamed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 14:51:06 -0400
Dear MAC Members,

Some in AEJMC are literally salivating at the possibility of tearing
Jayson Blair of the New York Times apart at Kansas City.
The way some folks are talking about it, you would think that plagiarism
has never been an issue  in American journalism before.
What Jayson did is indefensible, but he is neither the first to engage
in plagiarism and unethical conduct nor will he be the last.
MAC will and should resist the temptation by some to demonize Jayson Blair
beyond what is warranted.
For example, here is a note by somebody calling for a special session devoted
to the Jayson Blair affair at the Kansas City program:

“If we don't make this historic Jayson Blair NY Times scandal--with all its
implications for our industry, for our students and for us--a central part
of our session in Kansas City, than we are an irrelevant organization that
has no business saying it's involved with "journalism education”

I think this is uncalled for. But I would like to hear what others in MAC
think of this before I commit our Division to a position.
Ali.