From:
Indira Somani <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indira Somani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:40:03 -0400

Dear MAC members,

If you know anyone in Chicago who is thinking of transitioning from the profession to academia, please let them know about this one-day pre-conference workshop with AEJMC.   (From the AEJMC office: No charge for the Professional to Professor pre-convention workshop. However, we did put it on the registration form but with no charge so we could track attendance.  If someone is only coming for this workshop they do NOT need to stop by registration. So they can simply go to the session's meeting room.)
Sincerely,
Indira Somani
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
AEJMC Task Force on Recruiting for Academic Diversity
Pre-Conference workshop, Chicago Downtown Marriott
Conference info: http://www.aejmcchicago.org/
Workshop Session: From Professional to Professor
1 to 2:30 p.m.
Session 1: Should Professionals of Color Make the Switch? Benefits and Consequences
Moderator: Jane Rhodes, dean for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, Macalester College, Task Force Co-Chair
Panelists: Earnest L. Perry, Missouri, Task Force member
Linda Callahan, North Carolina A&T, Task Force member
Lisa Peterson-de la Cuerva, Minnesota
Lee Thornton, Maryland

2:30 to 2:45 p.m.: Break

2:45 to 4 p.m.
Session II: What Does it Take to Make the Transition Work? Models and Needs
Moderator: Indira Somani, Task Force member, Washington & Lee
Panelists: Charles Whitaker, Northwestern
Angie Chuang, American
Victoria LaPoe, Louisiana State
Herbert Lowe, Marquette

4 to 4:15 p.m.: Break

4:15 to 5 p.m.
Session III: What Have We Learned? Next Steps
Moderator: Lana Rakow, director, Center for Community Engagement, North Dakota,
Panelists:
Task Force Co-Chair
Federico Subervi, chair, AEJMC Latino & Latin American Task Force, Texas State San Marcos
Linda Steiner, AEJMC president, Maryland
Jane Rhodes, Task Force Co-Chair, Macalster
Indira Somani, Task Force member, Washington & Lee

Indira S. Somani, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Journalism and Mass Communications
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Phone: 540-458-8431
Email:  [log in to unmask]