From:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LILLIE FEARS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:36:03 -0500
Dear MAC Members,

I received the note below about a tenure-track position at Texas A&M.
Please pass this info on to colleagues and graduate students who might
be interested. Thanks Lillie Fears

Dear Professor Fears:

Would you please encourage qualified candidates to apply for our
tenure-track position in Gender and Mass Media?  Texas A&M hopes to
recruit an outstanding assistant professor to fill this Fall 2008 joint
appointment in its Journalism Studies and Women's Studies programs. A
position announcement is being sent separately to you.

This position is part of a larger College of Liberal Arts initiative to
build our interdisciplinary programs; there will be eight such
appointments made in 2007 and 2008, four of them involving Women's
Studies.  Faculty members who administer and teach in the programs are
keenly aware of their mentoring responsibilities as we work to make
these positions a success.  Successful applicants also will have
opportunities to shape the curricula in these expanding programs.

The Journalism Studies program was created in 2004 and offers an
interdisciplinary minor that emphasizes interaction between students and
media professionals as well as superior classroom and lab instruction.
Our Journalists-in-Residence project gives our students extraordinary
opportunities to build early career networks and provides our faculty
with unique teaching resources.  Our Media Internship Program is aided
by a scholarship fund that makes it possible to place our best students
with national media outlets and related institutions.

The 18-year-old Women's Studies Program offers a well established
undergraduate minor and graduate certificate and is developing an
undergraduate major.  In addition to the program director, the program
contains a tenured faculty member who is a joint appointment between
Women's Studies and the Department of Philosophy, as well as a
tenure-track assistant professor whose line is wholly within Women's
Studies; two tenure-track assistant professors were hired last year as
joint appointments between the program and the Departments of
Communication and Philosophy.  Affiliated faculty members, who have made
a formal commitment to teach within the program and to pursue a research
agenda that includes gender studies, come from a wide variety of
departments within and beyond the College.

Additional details about both programs can be found at their respective
websites, http://journalismstudies.tamu.edu/ and http://wmst.tamu.edu/.

For full consideration, interested candidates should send a letter of
application, curriculum vitae, statement of research and teaching
interests, writing sample, and three letters of recommendation by
October 1, 2007 to:

Media Studies Search Committee
Women's Studies Program
Texas A&M University
4351 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4351

We appreciate any help that you may be able to provide in encouraging
candidates to apply for this position.

Sincerely,

Randall S. Sumpter,

Coordinator of Journalism Studies