From:
"Karen M. Turner" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen M. Turner
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:28:51 -0400
MAC colleagues,
I have posted the job description for the departmentıs chair position.  If
you are interested or have any candidate suggestions, please contact me.  I
am  scheduling meetings at AEJ with our dean for interested people.  I just
stepped down as chair, in part to establish the Center referred to in the
description, so certainly I am available to answer any questions about the
position.  Please note that a Ph.D. is preferred not required.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
-kt

***********************************
Temple University
Department of Journalism
Professor and Chair

The ACEJMC-accredited Department of Journalism at Temple University invites
applications and nominations for the faculty position of department chair
beginning September 2004, at the rank of full professor.

The chair will oversee the administrative operation of a department on
Temple Universityıs main campus with 11 faculty members and with two degree
programs: a Master of Journalism program with approximately 90 students, and
an undergraduate journalism program with approximately 600 students and
sequences in broadcast journalism, magazine, news-editorial, and
photojournalism. The chair also will be involved in the departmentıs
soon-to-be-established Center for Urban Journalism and the programıs new
converged newsroom located at Templeıs Center City campus.  This Multimedia
Urban Reporting Lab (MURL), used primarily by the capstone classes, is a key
component in the departmentıs urban journalism-focused curriculum.

 Candidates for the position of department chair preferably will have a
professional background in (and/or will have a distinguished record of
research on) journalism, plus college-level administrative experience,
documented teaching excellence, and a Ph.D. She or he also must have a
desire to teach and advise our diverse student population. Candidates should
have the academic credentials and professional reputation that warrant
appointment as a senior faculty member at Temple.

Applicants should submit: (1) a cover letter indicating interest in the
position and relevant professional and/or academic background, including any
experience working with diverse populations and covering urban issues; (2) a
resume or vita; (3) a statement of teaching interests/philosophy; (4) a
statement of research/professional activity philosophy; and (5) the names,
addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three
references.  Mail application materials to TBA,
Chair, Search Committee, Department of Journalism, Temple University, 2020
N. 13th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19122-6080.

Applications will be screened as they are received. All applications must be
postmarked by TBA.

Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career.   I have lost
almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take
the game winning shot... and I missed.  And I have failed over
and over and over again in my life. And that is precisely...
...why I succeed." Michael Jordan

Karen M. Turner
Director, Broadcast Journalism sequence
Department of Journalism
2020 N. 13th Street
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
215.204.8386 (voicemail)/ 215.204.1974 (fax)