From:
Camilla Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Camilla Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:51:44 -0500
Colleagues,

Again, thank you for your prompt response to my call for service for the
2007 AEJMC national convention.  I am pleased to announce that Federico
Subervi ([log in to unmask]) has been re-assigned to chair the
panel entitled Minority Media Ownership &  Advocacy: A Status Report; and
Cathy Jackson ([log in to unmask]) has agreed to chair the panel entitled
Minority or Multicultural: Legal Landmines of High School Workshops and to
co-chair the panel entitled Advertising & Diversity: Industry Leaders Speak
Out on Hiring Issues.

If you have suggestions regarding potential panelists, please e-mail them
to the appropriate co-chair for consideration.  Again many thanks for your
support, and special thanks to Federico and Cathy for taking on these
commitments, and George Daniels for proposing both panels.

Camilla

> [...]
>concerns, culture and knowledge of people of color.  David
>Honig of the Minority Media & Telecommunications Council
>stated that 50% of minority-owned stations owe their origins
>to the Tax Certificate Program, which was terminated in
>1995.  Taking advantage of the platform provided by meeting
>in the nation's capital, this panel will bring together
>some of the key figures in the effort to increase minority
>ownership along with those from the appropriate federal
>agencies to assess where the minority ownership stands in
>2007.
>
>Possible Panelists:
>
>Representative from the U.S. Commerce Dept/National
>Telecommunication & Information
>   Administration (D.C. based)
>Representative from National Black Media Coalition (D.C.
>based)
>David Honig or Minority Media Telecommunications Council
>representative (D.C. based)
>Howard University professor who teaches media management
>Minority media owner
>
>Possible Moderator:
>
>Phil Napoli, Fordham University (diversity & telecomm policy
>author)
>

>Panel #2 (You may or may not opt to consider suggested
>panelists & moderator)
>
>Minority or Multicultural: Legal Landmines of High School
>Workshops
>Lead: MAC; Co-Sponsor: Scholastic Journalism
>Saturday, August 11, 5:15 - 6:45 p.m.
>
>Even though they've been around for a quarter-century and
>have a track record of turning high school students on to
>journalism, Dow Jones Newspaper Fund-sponsored high school
>workshops are under a new level of attack.  In October 2006,
>a class action complaint was filed against Virginia
>Commonwealth University's Urban Journalism Workshop after
>a white student was allegedly disinvited because of her
>race.  A follow-up to a panel on minority workshops
>sponsored at the 2003 AEJMC convention in Kansas City, this
>panel focuses on legal issues that connect the ongoing
>affirmative action debate to diversity efforts at the high
>school level.  Can universities solve the problem by simply
>changing the name of their workshops?  What strategies does
>Dow Jones Newspaper Fund suggest for universities to shield
>themselves from legal actions such as those taken against
>VCU?
>
>Possible Panelists:
>
>Linda Waller Shockley, Deputy Director
>June Nicholson or Bonnie Davis, Virginia Commonwealth
>University
>Local affirmative action attorney (or member of the Law &
>Policy division who is an
>   expert in higher education cases)
>
>Possible Moderator:
>
>Barbara Hines, Howard University (sponsors own summer Dow
>Jones workshop)
>

>Camilla Gant, Ph.D.
>MAC Vice Head & Programming Chair
>University of West Georgia
>Faculty Assistant to the President
>Associate Professor of Mass Communications

Camilla Gant, Ph.D.
Faculty Assistant to the President
Associate Professor
Department of Mass Communications & Theatre Arts
University of West Georgia