From:
"E. K. Daufin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
E. K. Daufin
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:57:05 -0500
Hi MACers, PLZ answer a few questions for me ASAP,
BACKGROUND:                 I'm having some problem with my university singling me out for some violations of my 1st Amendment rights, academic freedom and making it more difficult to do my job by restricting my ability to send email to more than one initially and now 2 people maximum at a time.  I also can not send an email back to myself now.  In August the admin stopped faculty and staff from being able to post to the internal faculty and staff list and abolished the faculty-only list entirely.  My chair is too frightened to forward anything for me because the university won't give him any guidelines about what they consider appropriate or what should be censored.  FYI I sent out an email to my own univ list telling folks if they were finding obstacles to giving excellent student service (I refuse to use the word "customer" as the admin does) to send a professional alternate plan and report to either the faculty affairs senate rep or the non-academic staff alliance rep.  That is what the admin shut me down for.

PURPOSE:           All the administrators I've left phone messages for and sent emails have failed to reply and the VP for Communications & Marketing has refused to reply at all and refused to forward my messages about two organizational meetings to the faculty and staff.  So I am preparing a USPS, return receipt letter for the president to get my full accessibility restored and I would like to be able to at least characterize MACers experience in it, though of course I will NOT mention you or your institution by name.  No notice of any of this was given to me or any of the faculty and staff.  We just tried to send messages and found we suddenly got error messages telling us we are "not authorized."

QUESTIONS:
Are you at a Traditionally White Institution or a HBCU?
Does your university have a faculty and or a faculty/staff list and can individual faculty members post to it/use it to send things out to the whole faculty/staff?  Is there an approval process to do so?  If so what?
Have you heard of an individual faculty member being cut out of email use or email accessibility limited?  If so why, how & when?

Know Justice; Know Peace,
Rev. Dr. E-K Daufin
Professor of Communication
Media & Society Size Equity Expert
ASU FSA/AFT Co-VP for Faculty
AEJMC MAC Membership Chair
Alabama State University
915 S. Jackson St.
Montgomery, AL 36101-0271
(334) 229-6885
www.loveyourbodyloveyourself.vox.com
Your research and creative activity referrals are welcomed.
With all my heart I want to work with and for kind, competant, strong people who love and help me and I they.  Ashe!