From:
George Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:58:48 -0600
MAC (Minorities and Communication) and CSM (Commission on the Status of
Minorities) Members,

One of the discussion topics at our MAC Members Meeting in Chicago last
summer was strengthening our ties with the National Association of Black
Journalists (NABJ).   For the first time in several years,  the NABJ Annual
Convention and the AEJMC Annual Conference are NOT scheduled at the same
time.    The scheduling of the two meetings has made it difficult for the
two organizations to work together.

This summer, NABJ will meet in Detroit August 1-5, the week BEFORE our
AEJMC Conference in Washington, DC.    (BTW, the NABJ/NAHJ joint convention
in 2020 will be in June instead of August)

Professors Michelle Johnson (Boston University) and Herb Lowe (University
of Florida) have initiated some discussions about the possibility of
enhancing the educator-oriented sessions at NABJ.

Here are some ideas for sessions that Professor Johnson offered:

Simple Ways to Incorporate Coding into Your Courses
Wordpress: Using Plugins to Beef Up Your Projects
Entrepreneurship: Teaching Your Students to Pitch
HTML & CSS 101
Educators Swap Meet: Short talks on your favorite tools. (Always popular.)

Tomorrow (Feb. 15) is the deadline for NABJ Proposal Proposals.    I'm
wondering if we have MAC members who are 1) Planning to go to NABJ in
Detroit this summer  2) Would be interested in proposing a session that
might involve other MAC or CSM members as co-presenters?

Here's a link to the NABJ Proposal submission site.   You can check it out
to understand what types of programs are of greatest interest:

https://www.nabjconvention.com/submit_abstract.cfm

NOTE:  Only NABJ members can submit proposals.

With the deadline tomorrow, the short notice may not provide enough time to
prepare a proposal for this year's meeting.   But, it would be beneficial
to have some discussion of this over the listserv as we work to build the
MAC/CSM/NABJ relationship.

Thoughts?

--
George L. Daniels, Ph.D.