From:
"Frisby, Cynthia M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frisby, Cynthia M.
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:44:03 -0600
Hi everyone
I have recently been offered the exciting opportunity to serve as the
Chair of the Search Committee for Cross Cultural tenure-track position.
I'm asking you, my incredibly talented and wonderful friends to help our
committee do one of two things.  First, read this e-mail which provides
some details about the job opening.   Then, would you help the committee
by forwarding this information on to any interested friend, colleague,
or doctoral student whom you feel meets and/or exceeds the listed job
requirements.  In other words, we are asking you to help us search for
the right candidate.

Here's a brief job description:
The cross cultural position is for someone who has expertise in either
newspaper journalism, magazines, photojournalism, broadcast news or
advertising. In addition to expertise in one of those areas, candidates
must be prepared to teach or assist in teaching our groundbreaking
course in cross-cultural journalism, a required course for all
journalism majors. The cross cultural course teaches students how to be
an effective journalist in a multicultural world. The broader purpose of
the course is to teach students through lectures, lab discussions, guest
speakers, projects, and other assignments how to create ads, write for
newspapers or magazines, work in broadcasting, shoot photos or video
tape, or manage a business communication in a multicultural society.

In addition to expertise in teaching cross cultural journalism,
candidates must be prepared to teach other core courses, such as history
of journalism or principles of American journalism.  We are looking for
someone with experience in advising student groups. An interest in
cultures outside the United States could fit well with our ambitious
international program and extensive worldwide contacts.

We need asst. or associate professors, and we are especially eager to
receive applications from minority candidates. In order to do that we're
trying some new methods (newspaper articles, contacting agencies, and
networking) in order to let minorities and women know about the job
opening and our need for a diverse pool of applicants.  But what seems
to be the most important variable is "word of mouth" referrals, or
having respected people such as yourself telling others about our job
opportunity.

Ph.D. or ABD is required.

Review of applications will begin February 16 and continue until the
positions are filled.  Send letters of application, c.v., and a list of
three references to Rene' Rau, Missouri School of Journalism, 120 Neff
Hall, Columbia, MO 65211.

> <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< +<>< + <>< + <
TODAY'S BIT OF WISDOM/REFLECTION:
It's easy enough to be pleasant
When everything goes like a song;
But the man worthwhile
Is the man who can smile
When everything's going dead wrong.
> <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< +<>< + <>< + <
Electronic Business Card for  Cynthia M. Frisby, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, Advertising
221 Walter Williams
Missouri School of Journalism
Columbia, MO  65211-1200